Today I attended my very first Women's Networking Council meeting. The Organization strives to get women on the same level as men in the work world. The topic in today's meeting was that time management of both your personal and professional life is key to a successful career. Lets face it... how many of your boyfriends/husbands come home at night and cook you dinner or maybe surprise you by doing the laundry or cleaning out the fridge? Now I am not saying that there aren't some amazing men out there that help with these everyday tasks, I am just saying that I have yet to find one. Here were some helpful ideas that we brainstormed at today's meeting to stay on task!
- Make lists and stick to them! When you make a list, you are able to prioritize and better manage your day.
- Cook meals on the weekend and freeze them. Then, during the week, simply warm them up when you get home!
- Invest in a crock pot! It is so nice to come home and have dinner hot and waiting for you.
- Don't be afraid to delegate and communicate. If your plate is full and you know that you won't have enough time to complete a task, then ask your co-workers to help you out.
- JUST SAY NO!!! It was found that men are more apt to delegate to women than to males at the same skill level because more women have a difficult time saying no. If you really are overwhelmed with work it is OKAY to say no. Now don't go telling your boss every time he/she asks you to do something that Amy said its okay to tell you no. It is not a pass all the work to someone else, your off the hook, get out of jail free type deal. Just know that if you really cannot possibly get everything done, it is okay to express your concern.
These are just a few of the ideas that we discussed today. The next meeting is on June 11th and I cannot wait!