Children's Miracle Network!

Please help me reach my goal of raising $2,000 for the Children's Miracle Network. Every penny counts! Just follow the link below http://www.missamerica4kids.org/m.aspx?i=20917B8793F94F

Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Sigh of Relief?


It's over. Like really over. I never thought I would be able to say that...well I still have finals, but those don't count. On the last day of school every year I play this song by Alice Cooper... I know I have weird traditions.

Schools out for Summer
Schools out FOREVER

Normally only the schools out for summer part used to be relevant to me... but now school is really out forever. Woot woot!

Now what does this actually mean to anyone other than me who's just excited? It means that kids are going to be at home all summer. Statistics show that an average child spends SEVEN AND A HALF HOURS a day looking at a screen- whether it be a tv, computer, or cell phone. This is absolutely unacceptable. Kids need at least 60 minutes of "active play" every day, and only 1/3 of them are actually getting it. So when you go to the family picnic and your little cousins want to play a video game, suggest a game of kick ball instead -- you can even join them! Or next time you are babysitting and the mother says to you "I will get a movie to make it easy for you", tell her NO! Last week, I took this stance when I was babysitting and instead of the easy movie, we went for a nature hike. Now I wasn't the biggest fan of the dirt or the bugs, but it was ACTIVE and I must admit that I had fun.

Normally, my family plays board games...this time, we played football! (my team won :))


A lot of people think that since they don't have children, this is not their problem. But it is. It's everyone's problem. We are the first generation that is expected to live shorter lives than the previous one and our graduation rates are declining dramatically. Get involved, you can make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment